Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 20, 2012

Sew much fun

Janet started it. She had a bunch of tees from her Texas Tech days and asked if I could make her a tee quilt. I had a blast putting it all together. Then Jack was envious and wanted one, so he rounded up some tees that he didn't wear anymore but hadn't thrown out because of sentimental reasons, and I made him one. Then I was at a thrift store one day and saw a tee that said "Twisted Sister" on front, and another one that said "Blame my Sister" and I knew that I had to make one for my sister Karen, whose birthday was coming up. I made a Midlothian Panthers throw for the Longbranch PTV school carnival's silent auction. Another was constructed from g-daughter Megan's Waxahachie High School tees. I made one for my teacher friend Daniel from his Bishop Dunne school tees. The one shown here was for my grandson Joseph's birthday. The most recent one was for son-in-law Jeremiah, from some more Texas Tech tees. (and Jer's was made extra-long so he could really wrap up in it).

Although these are pieced works, they're only partially quilted (for those of you in the know, I do stitch-in-the-ditch to outline) because with fleece backing they're substantial enough that they don't need much quilting. So I call them tee 'throws' rather than tee quilts.

I haven't calculated how many hours go into one of these. It doesn't matter because each one has been a labor of love. It's so much fun shopping for just the right complementary fabrics, then laying each design out and making it personal. I've got another one in mind, one that will be a complete surprise to the recipient.

Please excuse me. I hear the fabric store calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment