Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Churches aren't exempt from customer service

In a previous employment, one of the tasks of my job was to visit churches in order to convey information about area services to senior citizens.

In that capacity, the first thing I noticed is that, with regard to signage, many churches aren’t very welcoming to strangers. It’s surprising how many churches don’t identify the location of the church office, or post signs showing the office hours. Many churches built in recent years aren’t of traditional architecture, and don’t have “typical” Sanctuaries. You can’t always tell which part of the building is the Sanctuary, and its entrance may not be much different from the entrance to the office. Why don’t churches make it easier on visitors who don’t know where to go? On Sunday morning, do visitors just have to follow the flow in order to find anything?

But the more serious concern is how many churches just aren’t welcoming to strangers. In each case I was visiting in order to provide information, not to solicit a handout, and yet too many times the secretary or other person of first contact treated me as if I were begging for
something.

A few days before Easter this year I visited a church in DeSoto. The secretary’s office was right off the entrance, and I stepped towards her door only to observe that she was on the telephone. She glanced at me but didn’t otherwise acknowledge my presence, so I stepped away to give her some privacy. And I waited. After I’d stood there about five minutes, a man planting flowers right outside the building stuck his head in and asked me “Does she know you’re here?” “Yes, thank you, “I replied. He went back outside, and I waited some more. Although I was several feet away from the secretary’s office door, I couldn’t avoid overhearing the conversation, and it was obvious that it was a personal one, all chatty and friendly. After about six more minutes, the gentleman outside who had been keeping an eye on me through the front door stuck his head back inside. “Hasn’t she helped you yet?” “No,” I answered, “she’s still on the phone.” He came into the building, walked into her office and said something to the secretary. I couldn’t hear what he said, but I heard her brusque response very clearly: “Find out what she wants.”

The man came out into the hallway. He was very obviously embarrassed, and said, “I’m so sorry. Is there anything I can help you with?” I thanked him and left some literature.

On my drive back to the office I thought about the experience. Suppose I had been looking for a church home? Or wanting to inquire about the Easter service? Or needing to talk to a pastor? I was neatly dressed, polite, and undemanding. But in the twelve minutes that I stood there, the secretary couldn’t find it in her heart to put her caller on hold for even a moment and ask if she could help me.

Every job I’ve had has been in some sort of service field, where it was important to acknowledge visitors or clients and extend them courtesy. At a church, which is supposed to be the visible presence of Christ in the world, I was treated with absolute indifference by the guardian of the gate. If I am ever looking for another church home, it’s a certainty that I won’t look there.

So I urge pastors and members of congregations to look with a critical eye at what their building, signage, and office personnel are saying to those outside the walls. Is a person welcome only if he’s already a member of the club?

(DeSoto Today 9-22-05)

No comments:

Post a Comment